When it comes to fresh fruit s, simple is best. This recipe for Fresh Peach Pie puts the peaches front and center. 的 filling is surrounded 通过 an all-butter homemade 馅饼 crust. 的 lattice on top makes for a beautiful presentation. And it’s not difficult—just follow the steps below!
What is in peach filling?
When is peach season?
In the South, peach season begins in May and runs through late September. In the Midwest, peach season runs from early July through late September. I recommend using in-season peaches for peach 馅饼. It will yield the sweetest result.
How to make a lattice crust
Next, divide the dough between two ces of plastic wrap.
Use the plastic wrap to gently press the dough together and shape into a disk. Repeat with the other 馅饼ce of plastic wrap. Refrigerate for one hour before you proceed with the filling.
How to make peach filling
Putting together the
Optional: how to roast sugar
I stumbled across the idea for Roasted Sugar from Food52. It came from a cookbook called BraveTart: Iconic American Desserts 通过 Stella Parks. In it, she explains that she once worked in a cold restaurant kitchen. It was so cold that the cake batters wouldn’t cream properly, so she warmed the sugar in a low oven to offset the chill.
One day, she placed the sugar in the oven and promptly forgot about it. As soon as the scent of caramel drifted to her, and she ran toward the oven expecting to find a bubbling mess of scorched sugar. Instead, she found the sugar lightly brown but still in its granular form.
When I read her story, I was intrigued. Here was an ingredient that acts exactly like white granulated sugar, but had a toasty, caramel-like flavor. It turns out that it can be used 1:1 for white sugar in really any recipe you choose. It may get lost in heavy, flavorful desserts like brownies, but in something delicate like a peach 馅饼? You can taste it!
How to serve peach
当需要上菜时，请拿出最好的菜！我在这里用过我的婚礼瓷器 Wedgwood Vera Lace Five-Piece Place Setting 通过 Vera Wang.
Peach Pie with Roasted Sugar
- 2½ 杯子s flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 杯子 (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- ⅓ –½ 杯子 ice water
- 1 egg for brushing the top before baking
- 2½ lbs ripe peaches (about 6 large peaches)
- ½ 杯子 granulated sugar
- 2½ tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch of kosher salt
- Place the flour and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse to combine. Cut the butter into ½ inch 馅饼ces. Add the butter to the bowl of the food processor. Pulse 12–15 times, 要么 until the mixture is crumbly and the butter is a little larger than a pea. Add ⅓ 杯子 water. Pulse until the mixture forms a loose dough. It may be a little crumbly—this is ok. If it’s too crumbly to form a dough, add additional ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Place two 12x16 inch 馅饼ces of plastic wrap on a flat surface. Divide the dough between the two 馅饼ces of plastic wrap. Use your hands to gently form the dough into a flat disk. Tightly wrap the remaining plastic wrap around the disk. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour, 要么 up to 3 days.
- Remove one disk of dough and place on a floured surface. Using a rolling pin dusted with flour, roll the dough into a 12 inch circle. I find that rotating the dough 45° after every roll of the rolling pin ensures a circular shaped crust (or thereabouts—it doesn’t have to be perfect).
- Place the dough in a 9-inch 馅饼 plate. Trim the additional crust on the edges, leaving ½ inch of dough as an overhang. Place the 馅饼 plate in the refrigerator while you make the filling.
- 将装满水的中号锅烧开。用水果刀用“ x”在每个桃子的底部划痕，大约1x1英寸。
- Prepare a bowl full of ice water. Gently lower the peaches into the boiling water. Allow to cook for 30 seconds. Using a slotted spoon, remove the peaches from the boiling water and place into the bowl of ice water. Allow to cool.
- Remove the 馅饼 plate from the refrigerator. Pour the peach mixture into the dish. Place 6–8 dough strips on vertically on top, depending on how tight you’d like the lattice crust. Peel back every other strip and begin to build a lattice crust, alternating over and then under for each strip that you place horizontally on the 馅饼. You may not use all of the strips.
- Trim the strips to the same length as the ½ inch overhang of the bottom crust. Use your fingers to gently press the strips against the bottom crust. Fold the edges toward the center and push to seal with your fingers. Place the 馅饼 in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Beat the egg with 1 tablespoon of water. Remove the 馅饼 from the refrigerator and gently brush to top of the dough with the egg wash. Place in the middle of the oven. Place a baking sheet below the 馅饼 in case it overflows. Bake for 20 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F and continue baking for 30–40 minutes, 要么 until the top is golden brown and the filling is bubbling. If the top starts to brown too quickly, place a sheet of aluminum foil loosely on top.